177: The New York Sun
began publishing here in 1868, the city's
first penny newspaper.
Printing House Square
This open space, separated by a traffic-free
Nassau Street from Pace University Plaza,
commemorates the era when New York's many
daily newspapers were based on what was
known as Newspaper Row--conveniently close
to both City Hall and the financial district
in the days before telephones or rapid transit.
At the southeast corner of Nassau and Frankfort streets
was the first home of the
Tammany Hall political machine,
founded in 1789.
This sculpture of
Benjamin Franklin, by
Ernst Plassman, commemorates his role as publisher;
he holds a copy of his Pennsylvania Gazette. The
statue was dedicated in 1872 in a ceremony involving
Samuel Morse and Horace Greeley.
Near this spot on May 16, 1691,
was executed for treason. Leisler, chief of
the city's militia, took over the colony in
1689, ostensibly because Gov. Francis Nicholson
hadn't recognized the replacement of King James II
by King William and Queen Mary. Leisler, however, refused
to step down when William and Mary sent their own
replacement governor, a political dispute
that turned into a low-level civil war and ended in
a treason conviction. He and his son-in-law
Jacob Milbourne were sentenced to be hanged,
disemboweled, burnt alive, beheaded and quartered.
Hester Street is named for his daughter.
One Pace Plaza
160: The address of
Horace Greeley's New York Tribune,
the first newspaper with a national distribution
and a major voice of the abolition movement.
Karl Mark was its European correspondent in the 1850s. It
merged in 1924 with the New York Herald to
form the New York Herald Tribune.
It was the site of a sensational crime in
1869 when Daniel McFarland shot and mortally
wounded prominent Tribune journalist
Albert D. Richardson, lover of McFarland's ex-wife, actress
Abby Sage. Sage and Richardson were married on
his death bed by Henry Ward Beecher. McFarland
was acquitted, not much of a surprise in those days.
William Randolph Hearst rented space here
in 1895 to run a rival newspaper, the New York
Journal. The building was torn down in 1966 to
build One Pace Plaza, the central building of the
Pace University campus, as part of the urban renewal
project that included the World Trade Center.
Pace was founded as a business school in 1906 by
brothers Homer and Charles Pace, whose first classes
were held in rented space in the Tribune building.
It's now known for its business and law school. The Michael Schimmel
Center for the Arts, located in this building, is
home to the oft-parodied Inside the Actors Studio.
Notable alumni include former CBS chief
Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and TV chef
On May 8, 1970,
pro-Vietnam War construction
workers stormed Pace's main building, smashing
windows and beating male and female students
with bricks, pipes and chains.