|Chido Museum/Matsugaoka reclaimed land||ＨＯＭＥ|
In １９５０ Chido Museum was founded by the former Lord Sakai, the feudal lord of the Shonai district, who wished to improve and develop local culture.
He donated his properties and established the Chidokan, the shonai Clan’s Samurai school.
Numerous examples of classical calligraphy, woodcraft and ceremonial sake barrels are preserved in Goinden,the old retirement residence of Lord Sakai.
The two white wooden buildings in western style were transferred and rebuilt here.
One is the former Tsuruoka Police Station and the other is the former Nishitagawa District Office.
The old three-story farmhouse was brought from a snowy mountain village, Tamugimata,
and has attracted attention for its gracefully curved thatched roof.
The new storage and the folkcraft houses contain exhibits of traditional folk materials of the Shonai district.
Sakai Tadatsugu served TokugawaIeyasu, the first Tokugawa Shogun.
As a reward Lord Sakai was given the title of Tokugawa Shitenno, which means one of the Big Four.
In 1622 Sakai Tadakatsu, the third of the Sakai family, became the feudal lord of the Shonai district,
an area which couldproduce as much as 140,000 koku of rice each year.
Successive feudal lords put a greatdeal of effort into agricultural administration.
Inparticular, the ninth Sakai, Tadaari, re-shaped financial affairs, supported education, and founded Chidokan,
a school created to train Samurai.
Professor Reischauer’s inscription
Edwin O. Reischauer (1910〜1990), American ambassador to Japan(1961〜1966),
and Scholar of Ennin（円仁）
Yamagata-----The Other Side of the Mountain
(By Professor Reischauer’s monument,Yamagata. [Yamadera（山寺）] )
|?@Former Nishitagawa District Office
-National Important Treasure-
Built １８８１;relocated to present site 1972.
Prefectural governor Ｍishima Michitune endorsed a policy of constructing European style buildings around the district. The former Nishitagawa District Office is one of his undertakings.
・ The Shonai Region from primitive times to the Middle Ages
・ The History of the Shonai Region dating back to the Stone Age
・ The Meiji Restoration and Shonai at the end of the Boshin Battle; the Shonai Clan
?AGoinden, Retirement Residence of the Sakai Lords
Th entrance, the back room and even the hallways give some idea of the magnificence of a Daimyo’s (feudal lord) mansion.
・ Shonai-zao (fishing rods)
Now Exhibition ２０１１．３．１〜２０１１．４．３
「Ｔｓｕｒｕｏｋａ Ｈｉｎａ dolls Ｓｔｏｒｙ」 Exhibition
Yusoku hina（Chigo hina) ーEdo era
The exhibits presented here include manykinds of arts and crafts and change periodically
Ｎｏｗ Ｅｘｈｉｂｉｔｉｏｎ ２０１１．２．２３〜２０１１．３．３０
「Ｔｈｅ Ｓａｋａｉｓ of The Ｓｈｏｎａｉ Ｃｌａｎ Ａｒｔs and Ｍａｔｅｒｉａｌs Exhibition」
Ｂｙａｋｕｉ Ｋａｎｎｏｎ ー Edo era
?CFolkcraft House (Mingu no Kura)
Initially used to store the Lord’s arms and effects, this has been used to store traditional folk materials from various districts in Shonai since the establishment of the museum in 1950.
Antique advertising materials and Sea of Japan shipping implements are displayed on the first floor; traditional Local handicrafts such as Shonai dolls can be founded on the second floor.
?DNational Important Folklore Cultural Assets Strage
In １９８１ a new building wasestablished with seven kinds of items on display;
Bandori, a kind of backpack made of straw(116);
Shuki, lacquered wooded sakecasks(77);
Kurimono, hollowed wooden vessels(250);
Daihoji Yaki; pottery backed at Daihoji(234);
beautifully quilted working clothes(126);
Sea of Japan fishing tackle(1937);
Mogami River fishing tackle(810)
?EFormer Shibuya Familiy Home
-National Important Treasure
Built 1822;relocated to present site 1965.
The Tasou-minka is a large three-story farmhouse. Its roof thatched and shaped like a samurai helmet. The house was originally built inTamugimata in Asahi Village.
It was designated an Important National Cultural Asset in 1969.
?FSakai’s Old-style Japanese Garden
-National Scenic Location
Shoin is a specific type of Japanese garden.
In 1971 this garden was restored to its original condition.
It was designated a National Scenic Location in 1976.