The technical problems that were forecasted by Eng.
Huergo finally occured short after its completion.
Tonnage of vessels at the turn of the 20th
century rose from 4 to 10 milion, and soon it rose to 20 milion.
This circumstance, added to the increase in port traffic, lead to
the obsollescence of the closed docks system. In september 1907
the national government decides to carry out the port enlargement.
The selection was made through a call, being won by Thomas Walker
and Company, 1909. Extending to the north of Puerto Madero, it consists
of 6 open inner harbors, separated by piers and protected by two
jetties (2.720 m and 950 m). Puerto Nuevo was built between 1911
and 1919, under the tooth form design that Huergo had anticipated.
Its location to the north constitued a barrier that isolated the
city downtown from its coast.