International Astronomical Union
Commission 8 - Astrometry
President: Wen-Jing Jin - email@example.com
Vice President: Imants Platais - firstname.lastname@example.org
|Irina I. Kumkova
|Mario G. Lattanzi
Information pertaining to the business of Commission 8 (period August 2000 - July 2003)
will be posted here.
Send comments on this page and those below it to email@example.com
This page was last updated on 15 February 2001
List of members and e-mail addresses
NOTE: The list of e-mail addresses was compiled by Dr. Heiner Schwan, former
president of Commission 8 and Dr. Elena Schilbach, former president of Commission
24(thanks Heiner and Elena!). There are 7 members who have no e-mail addresses or no
correct e-mail addresses with mark "*" before their name. If you can help please
send information to Wen-Jing Jin (firstname.lastname@example.org). Thanks in advance!
Commission 8 is included in Division 1
(President: Nicole Capitaine)
Main fields of activity
- instrumentation and reduction techniques (astrometric and photometric), including
digitization and image reconstruction
- various ground-based observing programs (proper motion, parallax, binary star, asteroid
etc.) and astrometric catalogue and database compilations
- reference system: maintenance and extension of the extragalactic reference frame and
Hipparcos reference frame; links between various reference frames
- space astrometry including global space astrometry (and photometry) after Hipparcos:
forthcoming projects GAIA, DIVA, FAME and others. Narrow-field space
astrometry, e.g. SIM.
- applications of astrometric parameters on astrophysical and kinematic studies, such as
open and globular cluster studies, galactic rotation, solar motion, kinematics of various
stellar populations, galactic evolution, Magellanic Clouds studies, high redshift QSOs,
multi-wavelength cross-identifications, etc.
- relativistic astrometry, such as gravitational lenses, time scale etc.
- The report of old Commission 8 for the period 1996-1999(by H.
Schwan) is available as a Postscript file.
- The report of Commission 24 for the period 1996-1999(by E.
Schilbach) is available as a Postscript file. Many fields of activity are common for both
Commissions. For example, reports on Hipparcos and Tycho have been grouped in the report
of Commission 24, but reports on the future astrometric space projects have been included
in the report of Commission 8, in each case, whatever the commission to which the
individual reports were made.
- The report of Division 1 for the period 1996-1999(by K.
Seidelmann) is avaiable as a Postscript file.
- The business meeting report of Commissions 8 & 24 (XIVth
General Assembly in Manchester) is available now as a Postscript file.
Information on Working Groups within Division 1 is also available from the Division 1 home page.
1. WG on The Future Development of Ground-Based
2. WG on AC and CdC Plates
3. WG on Reference
4. WG on Relativity for
Celestial Mechanics and Astrometry
5. WG on Astronomical
Redefinition of UTC
6. WG on Cartographic
Coordinates and Rotational Elements of the Planets and Satellites
7. WG on Near Earth Objects
- IAU Meetings relevant for Commission 8:
1. IAU Coll. 178. Polar Motion: Historical and
Scientific Problems Cagliary University, Sardinia, Italy, September 27-30, 1999
2. IAU Coll. 180. Towards Models and
Constants for Sub-Microarcsecond Astrometry U.S. Naval Observatory, Washington DC, USA,
March 27-31, 2000
3. The XXIVth IAU General Assembly, Manchester, UK,
August 7-18, 2000
- Other meetings:
1. International Spring Meeting of
the Astronomische Gesellschaft "Dynamics of Star Clusters and Milky
Way" in Heidelberg, Germany, March 20-24, 2000
2. International Spring Meeting of the
Astronomische Gesellschaft "Asteroids, Meteorites, Impacts and Their
Consequence" in Noerdlingen, Germany, May 16-20, 2000
3. New Era of Wide-Field Astronomy in Preston UK,
August 21-24, 2000
4. Space and Time-Reference
System:J2000, A Fundamental Epoch For Origins of Reference System and
Astronomical Models in Observatoire de Paris, France, September 18-20, 2000
- Future IAU Scientific Meetings:
Information on Future IAU Scientific Meetings
Home page of Division 1
Home page of the IAU