To approximate the laws, regulations and administrative provisions of the Member States concerning package travel, package holidays and package tours sold or offered for sale in the territory of the Community.
2) COMMUNITY MEASURE
Council Directive 90/314/EEC of 13 June 1990 on package travel, package holidays and package tours.
1. A package requires the following two conditions to be met: the service provided must cover a period of more than twenty-four hours and must be sold at an inclusive price.
2. Any brochure made available to the consumer must indicate clearly and accurately:
The information contained in the brochure is binding on the organiser.
3. Before the contract is concluded, the organiser is required to provide, in writing, certain information on passports, visas (periods for obtaining them) and health formalities.
4. Before the start of the journey, the organiser must supply in writing:
5. The terms laid down by the Directive are to be set out in writing in the contract.
6. The consumer may transfer his or her booking to another person.
7. The prices stipulated in the contract may not be changed unless the contract expressly provides for the possibility. In such a case, only variations in transportation costs, dues, taxes or fees chargeable and exchange rates may be reflected in the price.
8. If the organiser alters the contract significantly, the consumer may either withdraw from the contract without penalty or accept a rider to the contract.
9. If the consumer withdraws from the contract or if the organiser cancels the package, the consumer is entitled either to take an alternative package or to be reimbursed the sums paid. Where appropriate, the consumer is entitled to be compensated for non-performance of the contract.
10. The organiser is responsible for the failure to perform or the improper performance of the contract, except where the consumer is at fault or for reasons of force majeure.
4) DEADLINE FOR IMPLEMENTATION OF THE LEGISLATION IN THE MEMBER STATES
5) DATE OF ENTRY INTO FORCE (if different from the above)
Official Journal L 158, 23.6.1990
7) FOLLOW-UP WORK
8) COMMISSION IMPLEMENTING MEASURES