BC Hydro is committed to producing and delivering electricity in an environmentally and socially responsible manner…but what evidence is there that we live up to that pledge?
Environmental considerations are part of our daily operations. But we're also working on some broader issues that deal with the longer-term impacts we have on fish and water, on air, and on how we manage our environmental responsibilities. Some of these issues include...
- Finding a better balance for sharing water through the development of Water Use Plans. Crucial to hydroelectric generation, water is also key to First Nations communities, fish habitat, recreation, flood control and wildlife. So, how do we find the right balance?
- Being an even cleaner energy provider in BC , by developing Greenhouse Gas Management strategies which mitigate the thermal components of our power supply.
- Improving our environmental and business performance by participating in the Canadian Electricity Association's Environmental Commitment and Responsibility Program.
- Building an Environment Management System for the entire corporation.
- Listening to our customers-your needs, your concerns, your ideas. Get involved in the process by participating in our online opinion Contest.
Explore BC Hydro Environment and discover our challenges and our opportunities.
BC Hydro biologist applies an innovative
fungi which is being tested to control
problem vegetation on rights-of-way.