Timor-Leste recently joined the ‘concert of nations’, the climax of an epic and heroic story of a people’s struggle to win their sovereignty. Formal independence of this tiny state in South-East Asia on 20 May 2002 ended one of the cruellest episodes of a country in recent times, but sadly Timor-Leste has since suffered further upheavals of a kind only to be expected after such a long, tormented history.
Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) have called called for “fresh presidential elections” if a credible and fair recount of the votes by an independent body proves impossible, reads a resolution adopted by a large majority...
In the last months of 2007, Joe Borg, European Commissioner for Fisheries, announced an initiative aimed at stamping out illegal fishing by focusing on its main cause – short-term profit. According to the Commission, illegal,...
- 31/12/2007: Thirty-five ACPs sign up for EPAs
- 30/12/2007: Deployment of EUFOR in Chad and the Central African Republic remains crucial
- 30/12/2007: The European Investment Bank invests in major mining projects
- 21/12/2007: New partnership with OCTs at end of telescope
- 19/12/2007: Addis Ababa, headquarters for the first European Union delegation