: How to Apply
If you wish to apply for:
- MBA, contact the Business School
- Postgraduate Certificate of Education, contact the School for Education
- Diploma in Social Work/MA in Applied Social Studies, contact the Centre for Applied Social Studies
For all other degrees you should follow our four-stage admissions process.
Stage One: Contact the department
You should make contact with the relevant department in which you wish to study. The name of the departmental postgraduate adviser and address are given on departmental web pages. You can apply for a research degree in all departments from the beginning of any term. Please contact the department concerned not later than one full term before the term in which you wish to begin your studies.
Taught courses normally begin at, or shortly before, the beginning of the Michaelmas term in September or October. You will be advised of the appropriate starting dates by the department concerned.
- At this stage you should ensure that:
Stage Two: Complete the application form
You can apply on-line for postgraduate programmes at the University of Durham via the Prospects on-line directory of postgraduate programmes. There is no fee for using the online application service.
Alternatively you can download the application form, notes and financial guarantee form . Print the forms, complete them by hand, and send them through the post.
You should include the following information:
- personal details
- academic qualifications and career to date
- an outline of your research interests (for higher degree by thesis)
- the names and addresses of two academic referees
- your chosen College.
If you wish to read for:
- a higher degree (MA, MPhil, etc)
- postgraduate diploma
- PGCE by full-time study or where your course involves periods of full-time study
you must become a member of one of our colleges or societies as well as being accepted by a department.
(If you wish to register for a part-time degree, you need not join a college or society.)
- Send your completed form to:
Postgraduate Admissions OfficeUniversity of DurhamMountjoy Research Centre, Block 2Stockton RoadDurham DH1 3UP, UK
Stage Three: We process your application
- We duplicate your form and send it to:
- your Department
- the college of your choice (If you do specify a particular college or society and your first choice is not available, we will arrange alternative membership).
- We ensure that the two elements of your application are processed together and are channelled through the standard University admissions process.
Stage Four: Our response
Once your application has been considered by the Department, it will be sent to the Graduate School along with a recommendation for approval. (The Department will contact you directly if they are unable to recommend your application for approval.)
The Graduate School is responsible for approving all postgraduate applications to the University of Durham. You should be aware that approval by the Graduate School is not a formality and that in some cases where a department has recommended approval, the Graduate School will be unable to support this. Until you receive an offer letter produced by the Postgraduate Admissions Office, you have not received a formal offer of a place.
The University of Durham aims to deal with your application as quickly as possible and most forms are processed within four to six weeks of receipt.