[Soldier and Indian Guide Statue]
Statue of Soldier and Indian Guide
MONUMENTS OF THE CAPITOL GROUNDS

The capitol grounds total 165 acres. More than a century of Iowa's history is highlighted in the monuments scattered across the State Capitol grounds.

[Allison Monument]
Click on photo to enlarge.
Allison Monument
   In 1917, friends of Senator William B. Allison, citizens and school children of Iowa, and the state legislature raised this memorial. A pivotal figure in Iowa's Republican party, Allison (1829-1908) represented Iowa in Congress for 43 years. He was twice a candidate for the presidential nomination of his party and was a close associate of every United States president from Abraham Lincoln to Theodore Roosevelt.
   Evelyn B. Longman of New York designed the monument. A central plaque picturing Allison is flanked by symbols of "Knowledge," "Legislature," and "Financial Prosperity" on the left, and "Peace," "Humanity," and "Agricultural Prosperity" on the right. The topmost figure, symbolizes "The Republic."

[Lincoln and Tad]
Click on photo to enlarge.
Lincoln and Tad
   Sculpted by Fred and Mabel Torey of Des Moines, the statue was dedicated on the anniversary of the Gettysberg Address, November 19, 1961. This is the only statue recognizing any president as a family man. The Lincolns had four sons. Tad (named for Lincoln's father) died at age 14. The $25,000 cost of the monument was raised primarily by Iowa school children and a booth at the Iowa State Fair.

[Liberty Bell]
Click on photo to enlarge.
Liberty Bell
   The Federal Department of Treasury presented the miniature Liberty Bell to Iowa in 1950 to thank the state for its efforts of the previous 10 years in war-bond drives. Governor William Beardsley appropriately dedicated this symbol of independence on Independence Day. The bell, cast in Annery-le-Vieux, France, weighs 2,000 pounds.

[Christopher Columbus Memorial]
Click on photo to enlarge.
Christopher Columbus Memorial
   The Italian-American community in Iowa donated this monument to the state in 1938. It was financed by individual contributions.
   A bronze bust of Columbus, the Italian discoverer of America, rests between classical granite pillars. Anthony L. Sarcone, Italian-American publisher and civic leader, coordinated the project for 20 years.

[Statue Of Liberty]
Click on photo to enlarge.
Statue Of Liberty
   In 1950, the Tall Corn (now Mid-Iowa) Council of the Boy Scouts of America, donated this miniature Statue of Liberty to the State of Iowa as part of their annual service project. The statue was provided by Jack Whitaker, a Kansas City businessman active in the Boy Scouts at the time.

[Peace Officers' Memorial]
Click on photo to enlarge.
Peace Officers' Memorial
   This site was selected as the location for a monument honoring Iowa's peace officers. Officer Richard Webb of the Ames Police Department won a statewide competition with the design for this monument. The three individual forms represent the three levels of law enforcement in Iowa (city, county, and state). The forms unite in a center pinnacle expressing the ultimate sacrifice of peace officers that have died while protecting the safety of Iowa citizens.

[]
Click on photo to enlarge.
[Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument -- arial view]
Click on photo to enlarge.
Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument
   The State of Iowa erected this monument, funded partially by refunded war taxes, to commemorate Iowans who fought during the Civil War. The monument was approved in 1888, the cornerstone was laid in 1894, and the structure was completed two years later. Because a controversy developed over the location and artistic details of the monument, nearly 50 years passed before its dedication in 1945.
   Iowa artist Harriet A. Ketcham's design for the memorial was chosen over 47 others, although she died before the monument was completed. Both real and symbolic figures are portrayed. "Victory" is the most prominent figure, topping the 135-foot structure. Four equestrians -- all Iowa Civil War generals -- are depicted: Marcellus M. Crocker, who joined Grant at the siege of Vicksburg; Grenville M. Dodge, who built railroads to support Grant's army and accompanied Sherman on the "March to the Sea;" Samuel R. Curtis, commander of the Union Army at Pea Ridge; and John M. Corse, who was promoted to brigadier general in 1863, and assigned to the command of the Fourth Division of the Fifteenth Army Corps.
   The four soldiers depicted on the upper base represent Iowans who served in different branches of the military during the Civil War: Infantryman Shelby Norman, who, at the age of 18, was the first Iowan killed in battle; Ensign William H.C. Michael, a school teacher turned sailor; Artilleryman Captain Henry H. Griffiths, whose battery never lost a gun throughout the war; and Calvaryman Lt. James Horton, killed while leading a saber charge at the battle of Lovejoy Station.
   Nearly 80,000 Civil War military men were from Iowa, the largest number of soldiers per capita of any state participating during the war. Noted Iowa generals and battle scenes are pictured along the base. On the north side, a statue portrays Iowa as a mother offering nourishment to her children. To the south, "History" gazes into the future, and "Iowa" is shown as a youngster.

[Crocker Memorial]
Click on photo to enlarge.
Crocker Memorial
   Erected in 1944 by the Crocker Women's Relief Corps, this marker honors the first brigade formed in Iowa during the Civil War. "Crockers Greyhounds," named for their first commander, General Marcellus M. Crocker, fought at the battles of Shiloh, Iuka, Corinth, Big Shanty, Vicksburg, and Atlanta. The unit marched 8,500 miles during the war.

[Japanese Bell and Bell House]
Click on photo to enlarge.
Japanese Bell and Bell House
   After typhoons in 1959 severely damaged crops, homes, and farmlands of the Yamanashi prefecture in Japan, citizens of Iowa generously sent breeding hogs and feed corn to aid that district. This program began a friendship culminating in a sister-state relationship, the first of its kind between the United States and Japan. As a sign of their appreciation, the citizens of the Yamanashi presented this monument to Iowa in 1962. The 2,000-pound temple bell of peace and friendship, as well as the structure that houses it, were made in Japan.

[Korean War Memorial]
Click on photo to enlarge.
Korean War Memorial
   The drive for a Korean War monument began in November, 1984, when students from a Harding Junior High School class in Des Moines wrote the Governor asking why Korean War veterans did not have a memorial.
   The monument, erected on a grassy area south of the Capitol, includes a 14-foot-tall central obelisk and eight six-foot-tall tablets which tell the story of the Korean War utilizing words, pictures, and maps of Korea engraved in granite. The monument was dedicated by Governor Terry Branstad on May, 28, 1989.

[Vietnam War Monument]
Click on photo to enlarge.
Vietnam War Monument
   The Iowa Vietnam War Monument is similar in design to the national memorial in Washington, D.C. The Iowa Vietnam Commission and Jacqueline Day from Des Moines, who has a son that was seriously wounded in Vietnam, were able to raise over $85,000 for the project. Day was a former secretary to Governor Norman Erbe and former receptionist for Governor Robert Ray.
   The monument was dedicated on Memorial Day, 1984. At a separate ceremony on Veterans' Day, November 11, 1984, bronze plaques and missing names were added.

[World War II Memorial Plaza]
Click on photo to enlarge.
World War II Memorial Plaza
   Dedicated in November, 1997, the purpose of this memorial is to honor all those who served so valiantly during World War II and to provide posterity with knowledge about the compelling reason for the involvement of the United States in the war . . . "The preservation of freedom around the world."
   The centerpiece of the "Freedom Flame" monument is a 50-foot-high stainless steel stylized flame. Leading up to the flame is "Freedom Walk," a walkway through time, beginning with Pearl Harbor. The plaza floor is comprised of a global map showing the five major theaters of operation. The "Wall of Memories," is an appropriate backdrop for the freedom Flame. The total cost of this monument was $735,000 - a sum which includes a fund to ensure the memorial's future maintenance.
   Incorporated in the World Ward II Memorial Plaza is the Pearl Harbor Memorial. The Iowa Pearl harbor Veterans' Association, Inc., formed a committee to erect a memorial on the grounds of the capitol in honor of Iowans who made the supreme sacrifice during the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, and in honor of the survivors of the attack. The committee requested permission to place a memorial on the grounds in January, 1991, and was able to raise the funds and erect the memorial. It was dedicated on Veterans' Day, November 11, 1991.

[icon - reflection] Start
Tour
[icon - reflection] Capitol
Facts
[icon - inside dome] Capitol
Today
[icon - historical & modern capitol] Historical
Look
[icon - soldier and guide statue] Capitol
Grounds

Return To Home Site index

Comments about this site or page? lioinfo@staff.legis.state.ia.us


Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.

© 1995 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa

Last update: FRI Jan 14 2000
sw/sam