ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, PROGRAMMING ADMINISTRATION
October 2, 1996
POSITION TITLE: Associate Director, Programming Administration
DEPARTMENT: Programming Administration & Communications
SUPERVISOR: Senior Director, Programming Administration & Communications
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 5 years administrative or managerial experience in public television with an emphasis in budgeting and/or finance, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Strong computer skills, preferably Macintosh and Excel spreadsheets are essential. Must have excellent written and oral communication skills. Must be organized and detailed-oriented with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Manage all administrative budget accounts within the Programming Services division, including reviewing, approving, and processing all payables and receivables - invoices, expense statements, consultant payments, etc.
- Work closely with the Senior Director in the development and implementation of annual budget recommendations for the Programming Services division. Responsible for writing overall budget justification, advising directors within Programming Services of budget goals and parameters, and supervising the formulation of various departmental submissions.
- Prepare narrative, statistical, and/or financial data for inclusion in various reports/publications to the PBS Board, PBS Management, the public television system, e.g., annual activities report of the National Program Service, articles for the bi-monthly programming newsletter; or in response to press and other internal or outside inquiries.
- Manage the department in absence of the Senior Director and represent the Senior Director at budget and other meetings, as directed.
- Monitor administrative (general assessment) budget spending of each of the departments that comprise of the Programming Services division; review and distribute monthly budget reports received from the Finance Department and advise directors of potential overages.
- Work closely with the Senior Director on the annual evaluation of the National Program Service, including working with the Programming Committee of the PBS Board and the Programming Services Advisory Committee to provide information necessary to inform their annual deliberations. As part of this process, the incumbent will manage an annual survey of station managers, focus groups, as necessary, as well as the drafting, design and printing of the evaluation document.
- Work closely with the Senior Director in the implementation of administrative policies for Programming Services, and manage administrative needs of the division as they relate to personnel issues, office space, equipment needs, etc.
- Manage support staff coverage within the division, ensuring adequate coverage for assignments. Oversee assignment of the department "floater" secretary and arrange other temporary help, as necessary. Ensure open lines of communication with the support staff and act as liaison with senior staff in communicating needs, problems, etc.
- Participate in planning and preparation for the PBS Annual Meeting.
- Complete special projects from time to time as assigned by the Senior Director.
- Meet with Accounting staff on a monthly basis to respond to questions and resolve issues emanating from their monthly reports, ensuring that PBS financial records are accurate and up to date.
- Perform other duties as assigned/needed.
If you are interested in applying for the above position, please submit letter of interest, resume, and salary requirements to:
ATTN.: Ms. Reather M. Lawhorn
1320 Braddock Place
Alexandria, VA 22314
PBS's Job Hotline (703) 739-5298
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer