Help Center – Making and Uploading Videos
- How do I make a video?
- You'll need to have a device that can capture digital movies—this could be a camcorder, digital camera, or even your cell phone! You copy the movies to you computer, and then you can either upload them as-is or edit them with software such as iMovie or Windows MovieMaker to add titles and special effects.
- What is a .MSWMM file? How do I create a movie with Windows Movie Maker?
- A .MSWMM file is a Windows Movie Maker Project file. By saving the project, it allows you to return to the movie and make modifications at a later time. However, if you're satisfied with the movie and would like to upload and share the result through YouTube, you will need to choose "Save Movie File" under the "File" menu (which is different from "Save Project", which creates the .MSWMM file).
- Do I have to sign up to upload videos?
- Yes. Since videos are attached to your profile, you must sign up as a member to upload videos. Becoming a member also allows you to save videos, create playlists, and leave comments, among many other features.
- How long do my videos stay on YouTube?
- How long can my video be?
- Most videos on YouTube are under five minutes long. There is no specific length limit, but longer videos require more compression to fit in the 100MB size limit, and the quality will go down as the length of the video goes up.
- What video file formats can I upload?
- YouTube accepts video files from most digital cameras and camcorders, and cell phones in the .AVI, .MOV, and .MPG file formats.
- What's the best format to upload for high quality?
- We recommend the MPEG4 (Divx, Xvid) format at 320x240 resolution with MP3 audio. Resizing your video to these specifications before uploading will help your clips look better on YouTube.
- How long will my video take to upload?
- Depending on your connection speed and the size of the video, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours to upload a video. Generally, if you have a high-speed internet connection you can expect the upload to take somewhere between 1-5mins for every 1MB. However, the experience is different for every user because of the variation in connection speeds.
- Is there a limit to how much I can upload?
- Currently, the only limit is 100MB and 10 minutes in length per video (there is no length limit for Director accounts). We don't have any limit for the number of videos you can upload, and don't foresee adding a ceiling anytime in the future. So get crankin' and upload as many videos as you'd like—it's more content for the whole YouTube community to enjoy!