The official, complete app of Douglas Harper's Online Etymology Dictionary, with useful features to help you understand the origins of words as well as improve your vocabulary.
• From etymonline.com, the internet's top choice for quick, reliable, comprehensive yet comprehensible English word origins
• Instantaneous search with spelling suggestions works fast on your iPhones
• Offline Dictionary - find out word origins anytime, anywhere (Premium only)
• Universal app - works on your iPhones and iPads
• Related Words - easily access words that share the same origin/root. For example, you can check out all the words with root –logy, such as agriology, anthropology, biology, cardiology, choreology, Christology, chronology, cosmology, etc.
Get even more with ETYMONLINE PREMIUM:
• No Ads - Enjoy a calm, ad-free reading environment
• Offline dictionary - Search and view etymology without the need of an internet connection
* Bug fixes and performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
I am almost 50 and I remember as a kid quite often hearing, “ Look it up yourself in the dictionary and you will never forget it !”. Now enter the “Google Smart Age”, as I like to call it. I work with a lot of 20 somethings .... ask them anything... most of them literally have to “ google it”, to give you most answers. I asked this college kid at work the other day , the definition of “Hypocrite”.....he googled it came back with a simple definition. Then I showed him this site and we dug into that word and the roots of it , usage in language etc.... a few hours later this kid actually responded “ Wow... this site is Amazing... I feel as if I have the knowledge of this one word as good as my PHD English Teacher ... when I recently had a discussion with her about the word in class”..... what happened in our society over the last 40+ years not teaching kids how to Think !!!!... just an AWESOME SITE !!!
1610s, "projecting, prominent, detached," from out- + standing (adj.) "having an erect position, upright." Figurative sense of "conspicuous, striking" is recorded from 1830. Meaning "unpaid, unsettled" is from 1797. The verb outstand is attested in 16c. as "endure successfully, hold out against," now obsolete; the intransitive sense of "to project outward from the main body, stand out prominently" is by 1755 and probably is a back-formation from outstanding. Earlier were outstonden "to stand up" (mid-13c.); outstonding (verbal noun) "a prominence or protuberance" (early 15c.), but these seem not to have survived Middle English. Related: Outstandingly.
1650s, "instructive, didactic," from Medieval Latin informativus, from Latin informatus, past participle of informare "to train, instruct, educate" (see inform). In Middle English, the same word meant "formative, shaping, plastic, having power to form or animate" (late 14c.). Related: Informatively.
"fashionably dressed or equipped," 1810, from swell (n.) in the "stylish person" sense. As "good, excellent," by 1897; as a stand-alone expression of satisfaction it is recorded from 1930 in American English.
Not compatible with Dark Mode
First, bug report. When the dark mode is on, I won’t be able to see the texts in the search list because they are white. I can’t see the words in my bookmark list either for the same reason. The background should not be so bright in dark mode.
The content is great. The app is simple and intuitive, even though the subscription fee is too high in my opinion, so I’m not considering paying for it. Merriam-Webster charges $6 for each year. The content is already impressive, and the app is well designed. Please consider a one-time payment option. I will be happy to pay for it if that’s provided.
Developer Response ,
Hi, the dark mode problem has been solved in the latest version. Thanks for taking out time to rate us. It really helps us to keep going and delivering the best :) If you have any feedback or suggestion in the future, you could write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to hear from you!
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Usage Data
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- 崇伟 柳
- 110.8 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- © Douglas Harper and Chongwei Liu
- In-App Purchases
- Etymonline Premium 12 Months $17.99
- Etymonline Premium 1 Month $4.99
- Etymonline Premium 6 Months $13.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.