Tabbed inboxes are great for people who want to move less-relevant email (such as social updates and promotions) out of their primary inboxes. Clean primary inboxes help you focus on what matters. Tabs appear at the top of your inbox, where you can quickly move between them.
Important: Starting January 25, 2021, if you're based in Europe, you must indicate how we can use your Gmail, Google Chat, and Google Meet data. Through certain Gmail settings, you control, for example, whether we can share your data with other Google products. These settings are off at first and unless you turn them on, various Google product features, such as in Gmail, won’t work. For more information, see Smart features & personalization controls in Gmail, Chat, Meet, and other Google services.
In this section, you learn how to:
- At the top right, click Settings See all settings.
- At the top, click Inbox.
- Next to Inbox type, select Default.
Note: To hide all tabs, select another inbox type.
- Under Categories, check the boxes of the tabs that you want to see:
- Primary—Email from people that you know and any other messages that don’t appear in other tabs.
- Social—Messages from social networks, media-sharing sites, and other social websites.
- Promotions—Deals, offers, and other promotional email.
- Updates—Notifications, such as confirmations, receipts, bills, and statements.
- Forums—Messages from online groups, discussion boards, and mailing lists.
- At the bottom, click Save Changes.
If an email ends up in the wrong tab, you can move it. Drag an email to the tab you want.
Tip: To remember to follow up on an email in another tab, mark it with a Star so that it appears in your Primary tab, too.