About Google ads
As you browse the internet, use mobile apps, read your email, or shop online, you see ads. Google shows ads on Google products like Search, YouTube, and Gmail. Google's ad network also shows ads on 2+ million non-Google websites and apps. It is one of many ad networks that can personalize ads based on your online activity.
In this article
- Control Google ad personalization
- Google and advertising standards
- Leave feedback on the ad or website you just saw
Control Google ad personalization
Ads that Google shows can be personalized based on many factors, like the types of websites you visit or mobile apps you've installed. If ad personalization is off, ads may still use non-personal data, such as your general location or the topics on the website or app you're looking at.
Where personalization comes from
- Types of websites you visit, and mobile apps you have on your device
- Cookies on your browser and the settings in your Google Account
- Websites and apps you’ve visited that belong to businesses that advertise with Google
- Your activity on another device
- Previous interactions with Google’s ads or advertising services
- Your Google Account activity and information
You can control how Google personalizes Google ads, or turn off personalization of Google ads, at Ad Settings.
When showing you personalized ads, Google will not associate an identifier from cookies or similar technologies with sensitive categories, such as those based on race, religion, sexual orientation, or health.
Google never sells your personal information to anyone. Learn more about privacy
Ads can be personalized based on the device or app you're using. You can turn on or off this personalization though your device’s or app’s settings. These settings apply to apps that use your mobile device’s advertising identifier or in-app controls.
- On your Android device, go to Settings.
- Tap Privacy > Advanced > Ads.
- Turn on Opt out of Ads Personalization and confirm your changes.
Learn more about advertising ID controls
Google and advertising standards
Google's ad network is one of over 100 online ad networks that show you ads on sites and apps. Google participates in industry groups, like the Digital Advertising Alliance and the Network Advertising Initiative, that develop and follow standards in online advertising. Where required (for example, the DAA and the NAI) Google adheres to those groups' codes of conduct and/or self-regulatory principles.
You may have noticed the AdChoices icon , which appears on ads shown by any ad network participating in the Digital Advertising Alliance. Industry groups vary by location.
|Australian Digital Advertising Alliance||Australia|
|Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA)||United States|
|Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada||Canada|
|European Digital Advertising Alliance||Europe|
|Network Advertising Initiative||United States|