If you’re under your country’s minimum age requirement, you’ll need a parent’s consent to continue using your Google Account.
When your parent gives consent, they can also help you manage your Google Account. We take your privacy seriously, so we want you to know how this added supervision works.
Note: If you don’t want to have your account supervised, you can download your data and delete your account.
If your parent gives consent for you to continue using your Google Account, your parent can help supervise your account until you reach the minimum age requirement for managing your own Google Account.
While your parent is supervising your account, they can use Family Link to manage things like:
- Update your account info and some settings
- Delete your account
- Help you sign in to other devices with your Google Account
- Manage settings like Web and App Activity and Location History that control how Google collects and processes your data
What parents can’t see or do
Family Link doesn't allow parents to:
- Remotely listen to your phone calls
- Remotely see what's on your screen
As a reminder, parents can always change your account password and access your account, but you'll be able to tell if this happens. Google will send you an email and sign you out of your account.
To set up supervision required by law to your existing Google Account, your parent must:
- Have a Google Account. If they don’t have one, they can create a Google Account for free.
- Be 18 or older (or the appropriate age in your country).
- Live in the same country as you.
To let a parent supervise your existing Google Account, you need to:
- Agree to parental supervision.
- Live in the same country as your parent.
- Get your parent.
- On your device, click here.
- Click Set up supervision Next.
- Have your parent sign in with their Google Account, then click Next.
- Have your parent review with you the “About supervision” and the “Changes to your child’s Google services” screens.
- Confirm your account password and click Agree.
- Have your parent review the Privacy Notice, then click Agree.
- Have your parent confirm their password, then click Next.
- Your accounts are now linked. Have your parent follow the steps to setup supervision of your account.
To finish setting supervision to your Android device, remove other accounts from the device. Don’t remove the account your parent will supervise.
Important: When you remove an account from your device, everything associated with that account is also deleted from your device. This includes email, contacts, and settings.
- Open your Android device's Settings app.
- Tap Accounts. If you can’t find "Accounts," tap Users & accounts.
- Tap the account you want to remove Remove account.
- Tap on the “Account Action Required” screen and follow the steps to finish adding supervision to an Android device.
If you have a Google Classroom account
You can add it back to your Android device after you’ve finished adding supervision.
If you don’t want to have your account supervised, you can download your data and delete your account.