When you create a family group, you become the family manager. You can create a family group with up to 6 people when you:
- Set up Family Library on Google Play.
- Go to g.co/YourFamily.
- Set up family sharing for YouTube TV.
- Use Family Link to create a Google Account for a child under 13 or the applicable age in your country.
- Add supervision to your child’s existing Google Account.
- Provide consent and add supervision to your child’s Google Account.
- Get Google One.
- Use features like reminders and broadcast with your family on speakers and Smart Displays.
- Tap the family feature cards on your Smart Display.
Create a family with Google Assistant
- On your Android phone or tablet, open Google Assistant .
- Say "Hey Google, set up my family."
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Age requirement not met
To manage a family group, you must be above the age of majority in your country. A family manager can invite you to join their family group.
You're already in a family group
You can only be part of one family group at a time. To create a new family group, delete your current family group and create a new one.
Account not supported
You can't create a family group with a Google Account from your work, school, or another organization.
Trouble creating family group
You can only change family groups once every 12 months. You may need to wait 12 months until you can create or join a new family group.
Country not supported or family not supported
Make sure that the family manager and family members all have the same Google Play country.
Email address not associated with a Google Account
If you use Google Assistant to create your family group, only email addresses associated with Google Accounts can be part of your family. To include an email address not associated with a Google Account, create a family group with a different product.
You can’t add a Google Account from work, school, or another organization to your family group.
Family member is already in a family group
Your family member can only be part of one family group at a time. Your family member can leave their current family group and join your family group.
Family member already changed family groups
You can only change family groups once every 12 months. Your family member may need to wait up to 12 months until they can leave their current family group and join yours.
Country not supported or family not supported
Make sure you and family members all have the same Google Play country.
If you set up a family payment method, you may be asked to verify the CVN number for your credit card when you invite people to your family.
As part of this verification, you might see a pending authorization on your credit card statement.
These authorizations happen so Google can make sure the card is valid. These aren't actual charges and you don’t pay for them.
Authorizations may stay in your account for up to 14 business days. If you still see the pending authorization after 14 business days, contact your bank for more information.
Family member rolesFamily manager
When you create a family group, you become the family manager. The family manager is the only person who can:
- Create accounts for children under 13 or the applicable age in your country.
- Add supervision to a child’s existing Google Account.
- Provide consent and add supervision to your child’s Google Account .
- Add members to the family group or remove members from the family group.
- Delete the family group.
- Decide which Google services the family can use: The family manager can subscribe or unsubscribe to family services.
- Set up and manage the family payment method: The family manager is responsible for all purchases made with the family payment method. In Google Play, the family manager can require approval for purchases made by family members under 18.
Any adult in your family can subscribe to Google One. The Google One plan manager doesn't need to be the same person as the family manager.
Anyone the family manager designates as a parent must be above the age of majority in their country.
- Approve Google Play purchases.
- Change parental controls and family members' purchase approval settings.
- Use Family Link to help supervise Google Accounts for children.
- A family member can join a family group when they're invited by the family manager.
- If someone invited you to their family group, learn more about what happens when you join a family group.
A family member in this state has limited access to family services. Once they accept their invitation to join the family, they get full access to family services. For example, a pending family member gets emails sent to the family group, but they can’t use the Assistant to send family emails until they accept their invitation.
Family members with limited access can accept their invitation at g.co/YourFamily.
An invited family member doesn’t have access to family services until they accept their invitation to join the family.
- To join the family, an invited member can accept the invitation sent to their email address or phone number.
- To resend an invitation, remove the invited member from the family and add them again.
Google products you can use as a family
Once you create a family group, you can:
- Use the family payment method: If you set one up, your family can make purchases on Google Play with the family payment method.
- Use family services: You can use or subscribe to family services like Google One, Google Play Family Library, and YouTube TV family plan. To find all the services available to your family, visit g.co/YourFamily.