You can use your phone to pay for goods or services with Google Pay.
Where you can use Google Pay
You can pay with Google Pay wherever you see either the contactless or Google Pay symbols. Look for them on the payment terminal screen or on the cash register at checkout.
|Google Pay symbol||Contactless symbol|
Important: To make contactless payments, turn on near field communication (NFC). To turn on NFC, check your phone’s settings app.
If you add one or more payment methods to Google Pay, you can set up contactless payments.
- Open the Google Pay app .
- At the top left, tap Menu Payment methods.
- Next to the payment method you want to set up for contactless payments, select Enable contactless.
- Follow the instructions to verify your payment method.
Important: When you set up contactless payments in the Google Pay app, your payment method automatically adds to your Android device settings.
- If you uninstall the Google Pay app, your payment method stays in your Android device settings and can still be used. Learn how to remove payment methods from settings.
- If you remove your payment method from the Google Pay app, it’s automatically removed from your device too. Learn how to remove Google Pay payment methods.
Pay in a store
Step 1: Wake up & unlock your phone
Turn on your phone screen, and then unlock your phone. You do not need to open the Google Pay app.
Step 2: Hold the back of your phone close to the payment reader for a few seconds
When you’re done paying, a blue check mark will appear on the screen.
If the check mark isn’t on your screen:
- Try holding your phone in a different way. Your NFC antenna could be near the top or bottom of your device.
- Hold your phone closer to the payment reader.
- Hold your phone for a few extra seconds.
If there is a check mark but the cashier says the payment didn’t work:
- Double-check that the store accepts mobile payments.
- Contact your bank to make sure your card is working right.
How to tap & pay
Step 3: If prompted, follow the instructions on the screen
Some stores use older software that asks for a PIN or signature. If you’re asked, follow the steps on the screen.
- Debit cards: Enter the PIN you set up with your bank. This PIN is different from the PIN you use to unlock your device.
- Credit cards: For larger transactions, sign the receipt or the signature box on the screen.
Pay with a different payment method
If you don’t want to use your default payment method to buy something, you can change your default payment method or switch payment methods for specific purchases.