You can get around on your phone in different ways. Learn how to choose an option, then use that option to move between apps and other items.
Important: Some of these steps work only on Android 11 and up. Learn how to check your Android version.
Choose how to get around
- Open your phone's Settings app.
- Go to System Gestures System navigation.
- Choose an option:
- Gesture navigation: No buttons.
- 3-button navigation: Three buttons for Home, Back, and App Overview.
- 2-button navigation (Pixel 3a & earlier): Two buttons for Home and Back.
Move between screens, webpages & appsGo back
Open the previous screen you were looking at. You can go back more than once. But when you reach the Home screen, you can't go back any further.
- Gesture navigation: Swipe from the left or right edge of the screen.
- 3-button navigation: Tap Back .
- 2-button navigation (Pixel 3a & earlier): Tap Back .
- Gesture navigation: Swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
- 3-button navigation: Tap Home .
- 2-button navigation (Pixel 3a & earlier): Tap Home .
- Gesture navigation: Swipe up from the bottom, hold, then let go.
- 3-button navigation: Tap Overview .
- 2-button navigation (Pixel 3a & earlier): From the bottom of your screen, swipe up to the middle.
From here, you can:
- Close apps: Swipe up on the app image.
- Open an app: Tap its image.
- Take a screenshot: Tap Screenshot .
- Select text (selected languages): Tap Select . Then select words on the app image and tap Copy, Share, or Search.
- See two apps at the same time.
Important: With 2-button navigation, you can't take a screenshot or select text from all open apps. Learn other ways to take screenshots.
- Gesture navigation: At the very bottom of the screen, swipe from left to right.
- 3-button navigation: Tap Overview . Swipe right until you find the app you want. Tap it.
- 2-button navigation (Pixel 3a & earlier): To switch between your 2 most recent apps, swipe right on Home .
Move items aroundSelect or move items
Tap to select
To select or start something on your phone, tap it. In some apps, you can touch and hold text to find available actions, like making a restaurant reservation or playing a song.
Tap to type
To type something, tap where you want to type. You'll find a keyboard open.
Touch and hold
Touch and hold an item on the screen. After the item responds, lift your finger.
Touch and hold an item. Without lifting your finger, move your finger on the screen. When your finger is in the right place, lift it. For example, you can move apps around your Home screen by dragging them.
Swipe or slide
Quickly move your finger across the surface of the screen without pausing. For example, you can swipe a Home screen left or right to find your other Home screens.
Double tap to change size
On some pages like a webpage or map, tap twice to get closer ("zoom in").
Pinch & spread to change size
In some apps, put 2 or more fingers on the screen to change the size. To shrink, pinch your fingers together. To enlarge, spread them apart.
As you turn your phone, most screens can rotate with it. To turn rotation on or off, swipe down from the top with 2 fingers and tap Auto-rotate.