Foreign workers and students

This page explains how travel restrictions, effective as of 12:01 a.m. ET on January 15, 2022, will affect foreign workers and international students. To find out if you can enter Canada before then, answer a few questions.

On this page

Foreign workers: Travel restrictions and exemptions

As a foreign worker, you must qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller to enter Canada, unless you have a job in 1 of the following categories:

Agricultural or food processing worker

Your work must fall under 1 of the following National Occupational Classifications (NOCs):

Marine crew member

You must be entering Canada to work, and your work must be essential for transporting goods by vessel.

Make medical deliveries

You’ll deliver cells, blood and blood products, tissues, organs or other body parts that are needed for patient care in Canada.

Work with medical equipment or devices

You may be delivering, maintaining, installing or repairing medical devices or equipment.

If your immediate family members need to come to Canada

If your family members are 18 years of age or older, they must qualify as fully vaccinated travellers to join or visit you in Canada.

If they’re under the age of 18, answer a few questions to find out if they can visit or join you in Canada.

Before you travel to Canada

All travellers entering Canada must follow testing and quarantine requirements to keep everyone safe. Under certain conditions, you may be exempt from some of these requirements.

Find out if you’re exempt from any testing and quarantine requirements

If you haven’t applied for a work permit yet

Due to COVID-19, we can’t provide accurate processing times. There are also special instructions for priority processing for some workers.

How COVID-19 has affected the application process

Temporary workers already in Canada

COVID-19 has changed how to apply for a work permit and how we’ll process your application.

Find out how COVID-19 changes affect foreign workers in Canada

Agricultural, agri-food and seafood employers

There are specific requirements for the employers of this group of temporary foreign workers.

Agricultural, agri-food and seafood quarantine and testing requirements

International students: Travel restrictions and exemptions

To be able to enter Canada as a student, you must meet 3 requirements:

  1. You must qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller unless you’re a minor student (under the age of 18 years).
  2. You must have a valid study permit or a letter of introduction that shows you were approved for a study permit, unless you don’t need one.
  3. You must be attending a designated learning institution (DLI).

Even if you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller, you must have a 14-day quarantine plan in place before arriving in Canada. The border services officer will make the final decision about whether or not you qualify.

Applying for a study permit

If you’re applying for a study permit, you should apply online.

What you need to travel to Canada as a student 18 years of age or older

You must bring:

The border services officer will make a final decision on your eligibility to enter Canada when you arrive.

What you need to travel to Canada as a minor student (under 18 years of age)

If you’re a minor student (under 18 years of age), you don’t have to qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller.

Minor children need a valid passport or travel document to come to Canada, but they may not need a study permit.

A border services officer will make the final decision at the border about whether the minor student can enter Canada and be issued a study permit.

Learn more about what you need to study in Canada as a minor (18 years or under).

Cross-border students (daily or regular crossing)

To be able to enter Canada as a student, you must

As a cross-border student, you’ll likely be exempt from quarantine upon arrival in Canada if you’re enrolled at a DLI in British Columbia.

While in Canada you must:

If someone will be driving you to and from your DLI, they also don’t need to quarantine for 14 days, as long as

If your child is accompanying you to Canada

If your child (under the age of 18 years) will be coming with you to Canada, they don’t need to qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller. However, they do need to come to Canada at the same time as you.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Date modified: