Careers at the NAI
Join our team! The NAI is a great place to work, and we offer exceptional benefits and professional growth opportunities for our employees.
The following positions are currently available until filled. These positions are based at the Washington, DC office.
NAI Legal Internship
Internship Program Overview
The Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) legal internship program is for qualified law students interested in privacy and digital advertising. This internship will provide law students with a unique opportunity to work on cutting-edge legal, policy, and technology issues impacting today’s online and mobile advertising world. Interns will be provided an orientation explaining the various business models in the industry and the privacy issues with emerging technologies. Interns will have close interaction with NAI's small, but sophisticated staff of lawyers and technologists. Legal interns will also interact with the world’s leading Internet and digital media companies. The internship schedule is flexible and can accommodate class and other schedules. There is a minimum time requirement of 16 hours per week during the semester. NAI generally accepts up two interns in the DC office.
Legal Intern Responsibilities May Include:
- Monitor and analyze federal and state bills and statutes related to online privacy, data security, and technology issues
- Reviewing online privacy disclosures for required representations about data collection, use and retention; reviewing responses to compliance questionnaires, and participating in conference calls and interviews with members
- Assist compliance counsel with enforcement proceedings to determine the scope of alleged violations of the NAI Code by members
- Conduct legal research on specific topics such as tort liability, lobbying, defamation, intellectual property, and other issues
- Attend conferences, seminars, presentations, and hearings regarding online privacy, advertising and marketing, and related technology issues
- Monitor international developments in the areas of privacy, advertising, marketing, and technology and the implementation of new privacy legislation and regulations across the globe
- Excellent written ability, including the ability to draft documents, emails, and materials for different audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills and verbal communication skills
- Enthusiasm and interest in privacy, technology, information security, and/or Internet law and policy
- Desire to be creative and tackle novel, cutting-edge issues that may not be "traditional" legal issues – work assignments may involve the intersection of law, technology, policy, and business interests
- Course work in privacy law, technology law, intellectual property, communications law, and/or e-commerce desirable
- Basic familiarity with Web and Internet technology desirable (cookies, client/server model, web browsers, browser privacy settings, domain names, URLs, the basic elements of a website, etc.)
- Microsoft Office skills (Word and Excel)
The internship will provide opportunities for professional development and mentoring. Possibility exists that internship could evolve into a permanent position for the right candidate.
About The Network Advertising Initiative
The Network Advertising Initiative is a coalition of roughly 100 leading technology companies committed to shaping and enforcing responsible data management practices for online behavioral advertising and related businesses. We do this through a robust self-regulatory program that involves a commitment to high standards that exceed current legal requirements and a tough compliance, enforcement, and accountability program. NAI has been the leader in shaping workable solutions for the online advertising industry in the face of daunting public policy problems for over a decade. NAI members include AOL Advertising, Microsoft, Google, LinkedIn, Yahoo!, Audience Science, BlueKai, Dotomi, Datonics, and 24/7 Real Media. The NAI’s membership incorporates not just the largest advertising networks, but also leading data management platforms, data exchanges, real time bidding platforms, mobile marketing companies, and marketing analytics service providers.
With offices in Washington, DC and Maine, the NAI is a fast-paced, dynamic environment with a lean and efficient team.
For more information about the NAI, please review our website. For more information about the internship or to submit a resume and cover letter, please contact:
Ryan Smith: firstname.lastname@example.org