Rule 1: Remember the human. … Everyone has a right to use Reddit free of harassment, bullying, and threats of violence.
Do not post content that encourages, glorifies, incites, or calls for violence or physical harm against an individual (including oneself) or a group of people; likewise, do not post content that glorifies or encourages the abuse of animals. We understand there are sometimes reasons to post violent content (e.g., educational, newsworthy, artistic, satire, documentary, etc.) so if you’re going to post something violent in nature that does not violate these terms, ensure you provide context to the viewer so the reason for posting is clear.
If your content is borderline, please use a NSFW tag. Even mild violence can be difficult for someone to explain to others if they open it unexpectedly.
Some examples of violent content that would violate the Rule:
- Post or comment with a credible threat of violence against an individual or group of people.
- Post containing mass killer manifestos or imagery of their violence.
- Terrorist content, including propaganda.
- Post containing imagery or text that incites, glorifies, or encourages self-harm or suicide.
- Post that requests, or gives instructions on, ways to self-harm or commit suicide.
- Graphic violence, image, or video without appropriate context.
Note that health misinformation, namely falsifiable health information that encourages or poses a significant risk of physical harm to the reader, also violates the Rule.
To report Violent Content, please visit this page.
What do I do if someone talks about seriously hurting themselves or is considering suicide? When you see a post or comment about suicidal feelings in a community, it can be overwhelming, and you may feel like you don’t know what to do. But you can help, and there are resources available for you and the person you’re worried about. Reddit has partnered with Crisis Text Line to provide redditors who may be considering suicide or seriously hurting themselves with support from trained Crisis Counselors.